9.17.2007

10 Minute Play

[Starts out with Kris in her bedroom, laying on her bed working on homework.]

MARILYN

[knocks on bedroom door]

KRIS

Come in.

MARILYN

Krissy, dear, can you please watch your sister? I need to go to work.

KRIS

Whatever.

MARILYN

Thanks, Sweetie.

[MARILYN leaves. There is a silence and then SAMANTHA jumps in the room, wearing a tattered towel around her shoulders.]

SAMANTHA

Juney B! Watch me fly.

KRIS

[Ignoring SAMANTHA]

Riveting.

SAMANTHA

[flops on bed]

Whatchya doing, Juney B?

KRIS

Stop calling me that.

SAMANTHA

What?

KRIS

Juney B.

SAMANTHA

But it’s your name.

KRIS

No, it’s not! Juney B is the name of some stupid kindergartner in a book.

SAMANTHA

Mom says not to use the ‘S’ word.

KRIS

Mom isn’t here. Now leave me alone so I can do my homework.

SAMANTHA

[Picks up a stuffed fish and sticks between her feet, back fin pointing down.]

Hey Juney B, I’m a mermaid.

KRIS

No you’re not.

SAMANTHA

Yes I am. I have a fishy tail.

[SAMANTHA begins to shuffle around the room with the fish still held between her feet]

KRIS

What are you doing?

SAMANTHA

Exploring my kingdom. [Picks up a stuffed frog] Hello, my lovely prince. Oh no! The evil witch has cast you under a spell? That’s horrible! Don’t worry. Me and Juney B will save you. [Shoves frog in KRIS’ face.]

KRIS

[Pushing frog away from her]

Get that thing out of my face.

SAMANTHA

You have to kiss him. He’s under a spell.

KRIS

He’s your stupid prince. You kiss him.

SAMANTHA

He thinks you should kiss him.

KRIS

What?

SAMANTHA

Antonio. He thinks you should kiss him.

KRIS

Antonio doesn’t think. He’s a stuffed frog. He isn’t alive!

SAMANTHA

Yes he is. He has eyes, and a nose, and ears.

KRIS

So are you saying everything with eyes, noses and ears is alive?

SAMANTHA

Yep. Antonio’s thinking you should kiss him.

KRIS

I’m not kissing him.

SAMANTHA

Do it!

KRIS

[Grabbing the frog and throwing him across the room]

No!

SAMANTHA

[Runs over to pick up the frog, cradling it in her arms]

You hurt him.

KRIS

No, I didn’t.

SAMANTHA

Yes, you did! He’s crying!

KRIS

The only thing in here that’s crying is you!

SAMANTHA

Because I’m sad for him. You aren’t because you don’t listen to him. He’s crying out. He’s in pain. You hurt him.

KRIS

Just shut up, Samantha. I didn’t hurt him.

SAMANTHA

Why do you do that?

KRIS

Do what?

SAMANTHA

Ignore people’s feelings.

KRIS

I’m not ignoring anybody’s feelings. I’m just trying to do my homework.

SAMANTHA

But Juney B-

KRIS

Kris! Say Kris!

SAMANTHA

Kris. But Juney B, you do ignore people’s feelings. You can’t hear Antonio crying. You can’t even see the fairies.

KRIS

Maybe that’s because fairies don’t exist.

SAMANTHA

Don’t say that! They’ll die!

KRIS

That’s Peter Pan talking to you.

SAMANTHA

It’s true though.

KRIS

Oh really?

SAMANTHA

Yes.

KRIS.

Well then. Fairies. Don’t. Exist.

SAMANTHA

[cries out]

No! You’re going to kill her! Isabella! She’s sitting right there, on your bed!

KRIS

So what happens if I do this? [Swats at random spot on her bed]

SAMANTHA

Stop hurting her! First you hurt Antonio, now you’re trying to squash Isabella?

KRIS

Samantha, listen to me, Antonio is a stuffed frog. He has no feelings. Isabella is a patch of air. She has no feelings. They aren’t real. They don’t exist.

SAMANTHA

This is what I mean! You don’t pay attention to anyone’s feelings!

KRIS

I pay plenty of attention to everybody! Everybody that matters!

SAMANTHA

Nuh uh.

KRIS

Get out!

SAMANTHA

Mommy told me-

KRIS

I don’t care! Get out!

SAMANTHA

But-

KRIS

You are the only one here who doesn’t pay attention! You don’t pay attention to the world! The real world!

SAMANTHA

Yes I-

KRIS

No, you don’t! You can’t fly, you aren’t a mermaid, fairies don’t exist, and just because something has eyes and ears doesn’t mean it’s alive!

SAMANTHA

Juney B, you’re being mean. Just like I said.

KRIS

No I’m not. I’m being real. Where does Mom work?

SAMANTHA

Mommy works in a big building with crystal chandeliers. She wears fancy suits and works with kings and queens so she can get enough money to buy us a castle.

KRIS

Wrong! She works at Burger King. Where’s Dad, Samantha?

SAMANTHA

Mommy says he’s on vacation.

KRIS

He’s not! He’s gone! He left! All because of you! He couldn’t take you because you were the child mom wasn’t supposed to have because your dad should have been my dad. But he’s not! Your dad is off flaunting his stuff and probably spreading AIDS, not caring about you at all. Now get out! [Shoves SAMANTHA out of her bedroom and slams the door.]

SAMANTHA

Juney B? Krissy? Kris?

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Um...rawr, much?

Though I guess Kris has a reason. Samantha seems like a really cute kid who still has that innocence (good thing).

I, for some reason, liked the "flaunting his stuff" part because well, I just did.

I liked how you ended it, too because it again shows Samantha's innocence. And stuff. Or whatever. So yeah. Great job! Woo! :D

Cooper said...

This one is my favorite so far by a lot. You got the Samantha characters exactly right. She is completely believable in the way she acts and sees the world. Kris does a good job of counter-acting her so it creates a really cool scene. It reminds me a bit of the movie Pan's Labyrinth if you have seen it.

My only suggestion would be to expand on this universe and maybe add some more depth to Kris to show more of why she dislikes Samantha and feels distant from her mother.

Great Job!