9.24.2007

Her

She sits across the tiny room
Legs crossed
Hands folded
Eyebrow cocked
The corner of her mouth pulled up
In an interrogating
sideways
smile
The smile that says:
“There’s more to you
That you’re not telling me”

And that dreaded gaze.
That horrible
Dreaded
Gaze.
It’s friendly
But it’s trying to pick me apart
Piece by piece

No one has ever done that to me

I avoid it
Reading the spines of her books
I almost have their order memorized
Schizophrenia, OCD, Bi-Polar, Multiple Personality Disorder
Anxiety
Depression

But she keeps gazing
Keeps picking

She chips away at the broken edges of my shell
Pulls away the frayed edges of my cover

And she breaks me open

I spill.
All over.
I stain the walls
I stain the carpet.

And then the pill.
The tiny pill

Procedure:
Open mouth
Insert pill
Close mouth
Swallow

Contentment.

12 comments:

Alisha said...

I'd have to say that the ending is my favorite part, the way it's kind of in a list form, or whatever you'd like to call it. And then "Contentment" makes the whole thing seem right at the end.

The description of the smile made me kind of smile the first time I read it because I know some people can do that kind of smile that gives away more than what they'd actually tell you.

Great job, Oh Witty One.

Sam said...

I like it. The way you described her chipping away at your shell was really good. I could really visualize it. Good word choice.

Anonymous said...

omg, your poem is amazing. i totally get what you mean here and the way you said it is just...wow. i love you!

Austin said...

well, haha not too sure what this poem is about but it sounds good! you have realy good imagery. and it sounds nice to hear, i think youd did a good job. soo.... GOOD JOB! =]

robyn said...

You know i love i this poem. I've told you many time. And even though the first poem may have been hilarious (little blue pill, heh)
But this is a really good. Nice job.

Cheree said...

The separation of your poem creates an emphasis on the mood. It almost reminds me of a list of feelings and emotions of what depression and anxiety is like. Nice job!

Rebecca said...

that was a great poem. i do like the part about her smile.
the end was great, like it listed what you do in what order. memorized, like she almost had the order of the books on the desk memorized.
it was really great, the title was kinda cool, because you figure out who her is (i think).

Leanna said...

good job. i am glad that this is a real life experienced.

Anonymous said...

The seperation was awesome it created great emphasis. i really like the way you discribed everything. Awesome poem, I LOVED it

MZ. BRITTANY MARIE said...

WOW.
THIS IS A REALLY DESCRIPTIVE POEM!
ITS REALLY NICE HOW YOU DESCRIBE THE PERSONS EVERY MOVE. NICE WORK!

sarah said...

You did a very nice job on this poem. "She chips away at the broken edges of my shell" was my favorite line. there was a very professional sense about this poem, which is very unique.

Your girl is in the house said...

I like how your words flows, it make the reader to read more.I love it great poem.